Sunday, August 22, 2010

Nail Techs: Help! UV Gel Nail Supplies?

I have been getting UV gel French overlays for nearly a year now. But I am having a really hard time finding a tech who doesn't do a sloppy job. I live in a very large city and only go to very high-end salons with the highest client ratings. However, this hasn't prevented everything from too thick ';Chicklet'; style nails, or gel applied so that it pools around the cuticles. After going through a dozen nail techs and seven salons, I'm pretty frustrated. Really, I'm not a fussy person at all, but I know the overlays could be done better.





Several years ago I used to apply my own acrylic and silk overlays, using only the best products I could find and using the most careful methods for sanitation. I always got complements on my nails and people could not believe that they weren't my own or that I did them at home. I would go back to the acrylics, but I much prefer the UV gels for the lasting shine, flexibility and permanent French polish application. I also find they don't lift as much.





But of course, the crux is that I am not a licensed nail tech, and I don't know where I can buy supplies. I have watched the fill process so many times enough to know what Brisa supplies I need and that I need a good quality UV light (probably at least a 9 watt), and how long to cure between applications.





Is there somewhere that I am unaware of that sells these kinds of supplies to the general public? Can any of you pros out there offer any suggestions or guidance in this area?





Thank you all very much!Nail Techs: Help! UV Gel Nail Supplies?
I can offer on bit of advice - Brisa sukz. Go with LCN (#1 in my book), Young Nails, Akzentz, or Light Elegance. They are a step above the rest. CND's products are just OK. Nothing special. As for where to get the supplies without being licensed? Do your homework. There are online sites that are not too choosy about who they sell to. However, that eliminates most of the companies I just mentioned because those are much more difficult to purchase without proof of licensure. I would advise getting some training before attempting this on your own. Yes, it's possible to do on your own, but it will make it soooo much easier to have had formal training in UV gels. Watching it being done is a lot different from actually applying the nails yourself. It's been said that UV gel nails are easy to do, but very difficult to master. I can agree with that. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment