Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Should i get acrylic nails or gel nails?

which would you recommend and what are silk wraps?Should i get acrylic nails or gel nails?
I've had lots of damage done to my nails from acrylic. I've been getting gel nails for a while now, and they look a lot better. They're a little more expensive though. The salon I go to charges $20 for a full set of acrylics, and $28 for gel tips. It's worth it because they do a really good job on them.They do gel nails the same way as they put the acrylic nails on but they really do look better. Silk wraps are pieces of silk that are cut to fit your nail and then glued on your nails. Then they cover them with something to make the nail itself. I guess those are supposed to look good too. But, I would get gel if I were you.Should i get acrylic nails or gel nails?
I don't know what you're trying to achieve or what you're starting with, but if you have decent nails DO NOT GET SILK WRAPS!. I let a 'master' nail tech at a high-end salon talk me into silk wraps and now really regret it. My nails are thin and pliable but grow fast and are usually nice as long as I keep them medium length and well polished to protect them. I went to the salon with some girlfriends to get a mani and pedi and mentioned to the tech that I had a thumb nail that had been splitting. She recommended the wraps to 'strenghthen'; my nails. One of my girlfriends said she'd seen the wraps and they looked good. I said okay but was VERY concerned when she started roughing up my nails with what looked like a mini sander. But the finished product did look nice (it looked like my own nails but stronger).


However, after a week. the growth of my natural nails left a noticeable gap between the wrap and the cuticle. And some of the wraps started to lift near the cuticle and were catching on everything. And the thumb nail that had been peeling when I came in chipped at the tip--exactly where it had been weak before the wrap. All this despite the promise by the tech that the mani would look good for 2-3 weeks (and I don't get my hands wet except to wash %26amp; use gloves to do dishes)..


I decided I couldn't justify spending big $ every week to maintain these things ( I had been told it would be every 2-3 weeks for a touch up) so I spent 20 minutes soaking my hands in a bag of cotton balls and acetone (yuck) then slowly and carefully peeling off the horrible wraps.


Now my natural nails are scarred and are breaking as they grow out, despite using strenghthening polish. What a mess for me and what a racket for the nail salons!


There are sites that claim a silk wrap won't damage your natural nail, yet roughing up the nail is apparently how they get the wrap to adhere. Roughing up=damage!
GEL!! acrylic nails really damage ur real nails...


one time when i tried to take off an acrylic it took of my real nail. It was painful!!! dont do that to urself..go Gel
Acrylic. They stay on longer and look nicer. Im not sure what a silk wrap is though.
Gel, acrylic is not good for your real nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment